Exclusive for Podcrashers:On January 8, 2003, Air Midwest Flight 5481 crashed shortly after takeoff at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, in Charlotte, North Carolina. All 20 people aboard the airplane were killed and one person on the ground received minor injuries. In this episode, Shelly walks us through the unbelievable sequence of events leading to the crash and the NTSB investigation that revealed how two unrelated problems came together to create a deadly disaster.
Sources consulted for this story:
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Loss of Pitch Control During Takeoff Air Midwest Flight 5481, Raytheon (Beechcraft) 1900D, N233YV
- National Transportation Safety Board air accident report
- Admiral Cloudberg Blog, Tipping the Scales: The crash of Air Midwest flight 5481
- FAA press release on proposed changes related to Flight 5481
- Gregory Poleck. Air Midwest Crash Ushers in Regionals' Day of Disaster
- Code 770 Blog. Air Midwest Flight 5481
- Air Lines Pilots Association. Proposed Changes Related to Crash of Flight 5481
- Aerossurrance.com. Incorrectly Rigged B1900D Charlotte, NC, 8 January 2003: 21 Fatalities
- Mayday. "Dead Weight"
- Patty Davis for CNN. Pilots pondered weight of doomed plane
- AP, Final Minutes Of Flight 5481
- Company apologies to the victims of Flight 5481
- Bill Adair for the Tampa Bay Times. A cry as plane plummeted: ""Daddy'
- Myplainview.com. Pilot who died in North Carolina crash remembered at La. Tech service
- Scott McCArtney for The Wall Street Journal
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn