Summary:In aviation, the most dangerous part of any flight is statistically the first few minutes and the last few minutes, when flight crews have less time to react to problems that may arise. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast, join Stephanie as she tells the story of EgyptAir Flight 804, which encountered a startling issue while flying at its cruising altitude. From the shock of the accident to the investigation's frustrating twists and turns, this story highlights the essential need for all disasters to connect outcomes to lessons in safety.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- BBC: EgyptAir crash: The flight MS804 passenger who lost his passport
- MSNBC: EgyptAir crash: Death of couple who sought medical help in France leaves three orphaned kids
- Conde Nast Traveler: EgyptAir Flight 804: Wreckage, Personal Belongings Found
- The Guardian: EgyptAir MS804 crash still a mystery after body part and seats found
- CNN: EgyptAir 804: Wreckage and recorder show signs of heat, smoke
- BBC: EgyptAir flight MS804: What we know
- The Guardian: Traces of explosives found on EgyptAir crash victims, say authorities
- New York Times: EgyptAir Flight 804 Broke Up in Midair After a Fire, Evidence Suggests
- 9 to 5 Mac: Apple sued by families of EgyptAir 804 victims, claim crash caused by Apple device
- Time: Authorities Investigating Crash of EgyptAir Plane En Route to Cairo
- Los Angeles Times: What we know about the people who were on EgyptAir Flight 804
- CBS News: Can Flight 804 victims' remains offer clues?
- Egypt Independent: French investigators say no trace of explosives on EgyptAir victims: Le Figaro
- The Telegraph: Pilot’s cockpit cigarette sparked fire that brought down EgyptAir jet and killed 66
- New York Post: Flight that crashed and killed 66 people was caused by pilot’s cigarette, investigation finds
- Plane & Pilot Magazine: EgyptAir Flight 804 Disaster Caused by Pilot Smoking
- Aerotime Hub: Egyptair 2016 crash caused after pilot’s cigarette leads to fire: report
- Citoyens: In Nogent, a register to pay tribute to Pierre Heslouin who disappeared in the Egyptair flight
- LA Times: What we know about the people who were on EgyptAir Flight 804
- BBC: EgyptAir crash: Who were the victims of MS804?
- Washington Post: Discovery of debris offers few clues to EgyptAir crash
- Boston Globe: What happened to EgyptAir Flight 804?
- CBS News: EgyptAir plane crash that killed 66 likely caused by pilot's cigarette, documents reveal
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
EgyptAir Flight 804
Show Notes:This week, we talked about a few of the strangest and most memorable gifts we have received. We would love to know: what are some of the most memorable gifts you have been given? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!
Watch Facebook every Friday for our weekly call for good news- we love to celebrate your big and small moments with you!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn