Summary:With less than an hour before landing, South African Airways Flight 295 seemed prepared for a safe arrival after a 10-hour flight from Taiwan to Mauritius. Instead, the sound of the onboard smoke detector signaled a terrifying end to an otherwise uneventful flight. Join Stephanie in this episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast as she shares the story of a challenging and expensive investigation that found more questions than it did answers and left many people wondering if the truth behind this air disaster was ever really told.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- Republic of South Africa: Report of the Board of Inquiry into the Helderberg Disaster
- Houston Chronicle: Jet debris found in Indian Ocean
- Tailstrike: 28 November 1987 - South African 295
- Flight Safety: South African tragedy a dangerous goods reminder
- IOL News: Helderberg disaster: South Africa still needs answers
- AP: South African Airways Office Releases Passenger List With AM-South Africa-Plane
- Politics Web: The Helderberg disaster: Was this the cause of the crash?
- Embassy of Japan in Mauritius: 30th memorial to South African Airways Flight 295 Victims(December 02, 2017)
- UPI: Survivors ruled out in South African plane crash
- IOL News: Helderberg crash: 'Cause will have to come out'
- IOL News: Helderberg families still hoping for justice, closure 32 years later
- Washington Post: SOUTH AFRICAN JUMBO JET CRASHES
- Los Angeles Times: 160 Feared Dead as S. Africa Jet Plunges Into Sea
- YouTube: The Helderberg Disaster - 25 Years later
- UPI: Pilot of crashed plane 'one of South Africa's best'
- Time Live: Helderberg captain 'quite happy to fly'
- Press Reader: Letters reveal Helderberg Crash Heartache
- EWN: NEW COURT BID TO PROBE HELDERBERG DISASTER
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
South African Airways Flight 295
Show Notes:This week we talk all about some of the craziest dreams we have had lately. From Shelly's dream about the two of us flying an invisible plane and fighting off a bad guy to Stephanie's dream about drinks with Rue McClanahan, there must be something in the air! Let us know about some of your crazy dreams as well- find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And don't forget to share your Flying High moments with us- we love to celebrate with you!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn