Summary:On July 17, 2007, it took less than 10 seconds for an Airbus A320 landing at São Paulo's Congonhas Airport to switch from a typical landing to Brazil's deadliest plane crash. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: the Air Disaster Podcast, Stephanie guides us through the decisions and mistakes that set TAM Flight 3054 on a path to tragedy before its wheels ever touched the runway.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- Cenipa: Final Accident Report
- Tail Strike: CVR Transcript
- CBS News: Recorder Reveals Brazil Pilots' Terror
- BBC: Brazil trial over plane crash that killed 199
- Agência Brazil: Tribute paid to victims of 2007 TAM plane crash
- Flight Global: TAM A320 crashes in Sao Paolo
- CNN: Passenger List
- NBC: Brazil jet in crash was speeding down runway
- China Daily: Almost 200 feared dead in Brazil plane crash
- China Daily/AP: Brazilian plane with 170 aboard crashes
- BBC: Brazilian plane crash 'kills 200'
- Cleveland 19 News: Brazilian Plane Crashes In Sao Paulo Kills 189
- New York Times: Prosecutors Seek to Close São Paulo Airport in Wake of Brazil's Worst Airline Disaster
- Total NSC: Objects of victims of flight 3054 are identified
Show Notes:This week we talk about two points of contention: lists and comics. We want to know: are you a list maker? Do you rely on lists the way pilots rely on checklists? And just as important: are you a DC Comics of Marvel fan- or both? Find us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram to let us know. You'll have to listen to the end of this week's episode for our stance, but you're in good company no matter which universe you prefer!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Stephanie Hubka
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn