Summary:What could cause an airplane to turn into a ball of fire just 12 minutes after takeoff? In this episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast, Stephanie takes a look at TWA 800, one of the most memorable and deadly plane crashes in aviation history. From parallel criminal and accident investigations to shocking clues, this story is just as much about the details as it is about the unforgettable legacy!
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- National Transportation Safety Board Aircraft Accident Report: In-Flight Breakup Over The Atlantic Ocean Trans World Airlines Flight 800
- Cockpit Voice Recorder Database: TWA 800
- Wikipedia: TWA 800
- The Washington Post: Passenger List: TWA 800
- New York Times: Explosion Aboard T.W.A. Flight 800: The Crew; For Families And Friends, Memories
- CNN: 5 things you didn't know about the crash of TWA Flight 800
- USA Today: After 20 years, healing and heartache from TWA Flight 800
- Newsday: Victims of TWA Flight 800 remembered at Smith Point County Park memorial
- New York Times: Cockpit's Tangled Remains Leave Investigators Puzzled
- Plane and Pilot: What Caused TWA Flight 800 To Explode Mid-Air?
- WJLA: 747 from deadly 1996 TWA Flight 800 sits largely reassembled in Ashburn warehouse
- News 12 Long Island: TWA 20 Years Later: Lessons learned from tragedy
Show Notes:Shelly mentions the podcast Missing in Alaska, which is about two congressmen who disappear while flying on a small plane. If you love Take to the Sky we think you'll love this one, too!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered by: Crosse deStreit, Salmon Pond Studios
Graphic design and website by: Adam Hubka
Sound editing and music by: Mike Dunn