Exclusive for Podcrashers:As fog encircled Detroit's Wayne County Airport, multiple flights prepared for takeoff despite the undesirable conditions. In this month's Patreon-exclusive episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast, Stephanie tells the story of two ill-fated Northwest Airlines flights whose terrifying encounter shook the entire aviation industry.
Sources consulted for this story:
- NTSB: Official Accident Report
- News & Record: CRASH INVESTIGATORS: WHO PILOTED DC-9?
- Tampa Bay Times: It sounds like the guy just got lost
- Washington Post: PILOTS SAID TO DESCRIBE PRE-CRASH SCENE
- Canton Observer: Area passenger: pilot was cool under pressure
- Baltimore Sun: 8 killed, 22 hurt as 2 jets collide on Detroit runway
- Orlando Sentinel: JET SURVIVOR: 'PEOPLE WERE STUCK IN THEIR SEATS BURNING'
- Orlando Sentinel: CAPTAIN DIDN'T KNOW DC-9 COULD BE ON TAKEOFF RUNWAY
- Los Angeles Times: Wreckage, Recollections Probed for Jet Collision Cause
- Washington Post: 8 DIE AS JETS COLLIDE ON FOGGY DETROIT RUNWAY
- AP: URGENT Planes Collide On Ground At Detroit Airport; At Least 19 Dead
- New York Times: DC-9's Pilots in Detroit Crash Were Unsure of Position
- AP: Pilot Says Fog, Poor Runway Markings Caused Him to Take Wrong Turns
- New York Times: Pilot of DC-9 in Crash Says He Didn't Know Jet Strayed
- AP: Pilot in Runway Collision on Rebound After Personal Problems With AM-Planes Collide
- Washington Post: INQUIRY FAULTS PILOTS IN 1990 DETROIT RUNWAY CRASH
- New York Times: COLLISION IN DETROIT; At Least 8 Die in Collision On Detroit Airport Runway
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn