Summary:On September 11, 2001, four commercial flights were commandeered by terrorists and flown into buildings in New York City and Washington, D.C., and into a field outside Shanksville, PA. That day foever changed America and the way that we all travel. In this episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast, part two of our two-part 9/11 anniversary episode, Stephanie tells the tales of American Airlines Flight 77 and United Airlines Flight 93. In stories largely narrated by the calls and voicemails placed by passengers and crew to loved ones on the ground, this episode reflects on the events that took place and the heroism displayed by so many people that day.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- New York Times: Transcript of Flight 77
- Pentagon Memorial: Timeline of Events
- National Park Service: September 11 Timeline
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: 13-minute call bonds her forever with hero
- National Parks Service: Crew and Passengers of Flight 93
- CNN: Encore Presentation: Barbara Olson Remembered
- Washington Post: On Flight 77: 'Our Plane Is Being Hijacked'
- 9/11 Commission Final Report
- Time: The Interrupted Reading: The Kids with George W. Bush on 9/11
- Politico: 'We May Have to Shoot Down This Aircraft'
- WUSA9: To protect D.C. on 9/11, fighter pilots took 'kamikaze' mission
- Decision Points: Bush, G. W. (2010). Day of Fire. In Decision points (pp. 131-132). New York, NY, NY: Crown Publ.
Show Notes:Stephanie mentions the book What We Owe to Each Other by T.M. Scanlon, which discusses some of the themes we identified while talking about the legacy of September 11.
Stephanie visited the United Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania as part of her research for this episode. If you want to learn more about her experience, check out her article on her travel website, Road Unraveled.
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered by: Crosse deStreit, Salmon Pond Studios
Sound editing by: Stephanie Hubka
Graphic design and website by: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn
We're working on the second part of our 9/11 episode this week. To research this episode, Stephanie visited the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, PA over the weekend. Join us on Thursday to learn how all 40 of the passengers and crew are honored and remembered today. pic.twitter.com/oyyRvO8Ngy— Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast (@taketotheskypod) September 8, 2020