Summary:Flying through the skies above Hawaii, a quick trip between islands turned into a terrifying brush with death when a piece of the plane's fuselage ripped off in midair. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast, join Stephanie as she shares how one flight crew found themselves facing the unthinkable-- and how aviation history was forever changed.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- NTSB: Official Accident Report
- Tailstrike: CVR Transcript
- Simple Flying: Aloha Flight 243: How A 737 Landed Safely After Losing Its Roof
- Hawaii News Now: It's been 30 years since the Aloha Airlines flight 243 tragedy in the skies
- AP: Partial List Released of Passengers On Aloha Airlines Jet
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Aloha Flight 243's miraculous landing left an indelible mark
- KHON: Remembering Aloha Airlines flight 243, 30 years later
- Time: ""The Plane Was Disintegrating""
- Washington Post: 'AND THEN, WHOOSH! SHE WAS GONE'
- History of Yesterday: The Plane That Broke in Half Mid-Flight and Still Landed Safely
- AP: Frightened Passengers Of Stricken Jet Praise Pilot With PM-Jet Blast, Bjt
- AIN Nation: A Case for Critical Incident Response Programs in Business Aviation
- New York Times: Passengers Laud Pilot of Crippled Jet
- Maui News: Aloha Airlines Flt. 243: 30 years later — recalling terror in the skies
- Los Angeles Times: Aloha’s Lesson--Buckle Down and Buckle Up
- Airways Magazine: Remembering Aloha Airlines Flight 243
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
Aloha Airlines Flight 243
Stephanie shares a story about how her recent flight was swarmped by the police before departure, and Shelly tell us about some of the bad behavior she has witnessed in the past. Let us know: what is the most wild thing you have seen on a plane?
Watch Facebook every Friday for our weekly call for good news- we love to celebrate your big and small moments with you!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn