We're so excited to bring you our very first Layover Episode of Take to the Sky: The Air Disaster Podcast!
If you think of our new episodes released every Thursday as nonstop flights, Layover Episodes are like connections between your departure and arrival airports. Instead of having to wait until you arrive at your final destination to stretch your legs and eat something more than a packet of peanuts, layovers give you a chance to walk around or get a snack during your journey. Layover Episodes will pop up on occassion in between our regularly scheduled episodes to provide some bonus content, mini stories, current events, or other surprises to make the wait for new episodes a little easier. And since our layovers will never lead to flight delays or lost luggage, we hope you look forward to them as much as we do!
In this episode, Shelly and Stephanie take turns sharing mini stories about air disasters connected to COVID-19. From repatriation flights to planes carrying virus samples, and from small aircraft to sophisticated military jets, you'll be surprised at all of the ways aviation plays a role in our quest to eliminate the coronavirus (we know we were!). There's already a lot to learn from these disasters and their legacies!
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:African Express Plane Crash
- BBC: Coronavirus: Somalia probes Kenyan aid plane crash
- Reuters: Six dead as plane carrying coronavirus aid crashes in Somalia
- The Aviation Herald: Crash: East African Express E120 at Berdale on May 4th 2020, aircraft shot down by Ethiopian troops
- VOA: 6 Die in Plane Crash in Bolivia
- El País: Mueren tres españoles al estrellarse una avioneta en Bolivia
- El Alteño: A star plane and its crew die burned
- Diari Més Digital: Celebren un funeral pel matrimoni de Reus víctima de l'accident d'avioneta a Bolívia
- CNN: American woman dies in plane crash while attempting to deliver Covid-19 tests to remote Indonesian village
- Mission Aviation Fellowship: Tribute to Joyce Lin
- Washington Post: An American pilot was devoted to serving people in remote Indonesian villages. She died trying to bring them covid-19 tests.
At the end of the episode, Shelly and Stephanie talk about a few articles, including one about United's recent decision to internally ban passengers who refuse to wear face masks, a new idea to add lie-flat seats in the premium economy class cabins, and a proposed tax credit that would provide USA citizens with a vacation stipend.
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered by: Crosse deStreit, Salmon Pond Studios
Sound editing by: Stephanie Hubka
Graphic design and website by: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn