Summary:There are many mysteries in the world around us, and the world of aviation has its fair share of incidents with open questions and dead ends. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: the Air Disaster Podcast, we take a look at one of the USA's most shocking and least-understood air disasters: Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 2501. Join Stephanie as she shares the story of how one flight took off for a cross-country flight between New York and Washington-- and how, to this day, the questions of what happened and why continue to elude the aviation community.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- Civil Aeronautics Board: Official Accident Report
- Valerie van Heest
- MSN: Disappearance Over Lake Michigan: The Story Of Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 2501
- Discovery: The Mystery of Northwest Flight 2501
- Milwaukee Magazine: The Strange True Story of the Disappearance of Flight 2501 Over Milwaukee
- MSRA: Northwest Airlines Flight 2501 (DC4)
- Michigan Live: Unsolved mystery: Location of Flight 2501 that disappeared over Lake Michigan eludes searchers 63 years later
- WZZM: 'Time travel' may lead explorers to sunken wreckage of doomed airliner
- Simple Flying: Disappearance Over Lake Michigan: The Story Of Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 2501
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Volunteers try to solve mystery of 1950 plane crash in Lake Michigan
- Heest, V. van. (2015). Fatal crossing: The mysterious disappearance of nwa flight 2501 and the quest for answers: A true story. In-Depth Editions.
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 2501
This week, we chat about just how much money it would take for us to give up our seats on a confirmed flight- and how much one family gave up when they decided to prioritize their Alaskan vacation over cash. How much would you be willing to take to miss a flight?
Watch Facebook every Friday for our weekly call for good news- we love to celebrate your big and small moments with you!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn