Summary:On April 4, 1975, the first of 30 flights that operated as part of Operation Babylift left Saigon with a single mission: to carry some of the youngest and most vulnerable of those impacted by the Vietnam War to safer places. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: the Air Disaster Podcast, Stephanie shares how the first flight took a tragic turn not long after its departure and how it changed the lives of people around the world.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- Sidney Daily News: A Mother's Day story of hope
- Regine Aune and Aryn Lockhart: Operation Babylift: Mission Accomplished: A memoir of Hope and Healing
- Today: An officer saved dozens of babies in a plane crash. Decades later, she shares a bond with 1
- Daily Republic: Travis 75th: Operation Babylift crash brings tragedy, hope
- ABC 7: Survivors remember 'Operation Babylift' plane crash
- Military Times: 'Operation Babylift' kids, veterans reunite 40 years later
- WBUR: Remembering The Doomed First Flight Of Operation Babylift
- Reuters: After four decades, a Vietnamese woman reunites with the daughter airlifted to America
- Atlas Obscura: After the Vietnam War, America Flew Planes Full of Babies Back to the U.S.
- PBS: Operation Babylift (1975)
- Washington Post: Operation Babylift: A frantic Saigon rescue effort is echoed in Kabul's chaos
- NPR: Remembering The Doomed First Flight Of Operation Babylift
- Aviation Geek Club: Operation Babylift: the Crash of C-5 Number 68-0218
- Daily Republic: Operation Babylift crash brings tragedy, hope
- AIRLIFT/TANKER QUARTERLY
- Super70s: C5 Crashes In Vietnam During Operation Babylift
- AIRLIFT TANKER QUARTERLY
- Americares: Remembering Operation Babylift 40 Years Later
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
Show Notes:We start this week by talking about why New Years resolutions are not for us- and why we're still going to try to eat healthier and get into better habits anyway. Let us know if you're making any resolutions to start 2022!
Do you have good things happening in your life? Don't forget to let us know! Share your Flying High moments with us on Facebook!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn