Summary:As the United Kingdom came into view below British Midland Flight 542, passengers onboard were excited to reunited with friends and family again-- and the flight crew was baffled by the sudden failure of an engine that, in turn, rendered the plane uncontrollable. In this week's episode of Take to the Sky: the Air Disaster Podcast, Stephanie shares the story of how the plane that didn't have time to line up with its intended runway and, instead, ended up on a collision course with the town of Stockport.
Listen, Review, and Subscribe on:
Sources consulted for this story:
- Board of Trade Inquiry: Official Accident Report
- Aviation Safety Network: G-AGJV
- Manchester Evening News: What happened in the Stockport plane crash? How one of the darkest days in the town's history unfolded
- BBC: STOCKPORT AIR CRASH
- BBC: Stockport air disaster: The holiday flight that ended in catastrophe
- Stop in Stockport: WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE STOCKPORT AIR DISASTER?
- Mancunian Matters: ‘I thought if I don’t do something I’m going to get burnt’: Stockport air crash survivor’s tale 49 years on
Read the Story!Expand the text below to read more about this episode.
Stockport Air Disaster
Stephanie and Shelly have something kind of bizarre in common- their parents saved some kind of creepy childhood souvenirs that they found as adults. We want to know: what is the strangest thing you have found that was saved from your childhood? Listen to the beginning of our episode to hear just what we found!
Watch Facebook every Friday for our weekly call for good news- we love to celebrate your big and small moments with you!
Credits:Written and produced by: Shelly Price and Stephanie Hubka
Directed and engineered at: Snow Monster Studios
Sound editor: Podcast Engineers
Producer: Adam Hubka
Music by: Mike Dunn